Friday 11 November 2011

07.11.2011 Triplets and the Hyper-extended back

 Although it is a Monday morning, I enjoy going to Juliet’s class. I think in the last year I have improved with this technique immensely. I may not be perfect, yet I am really trying to exceed on my technique from last year. Which will hopefully reflect in my first semester grade. In Juliet's class last year, my technique was the most improved out of all my classes. This perhaps why I approach these class with a positive attitude. 

Flat back position
This week again my flaws fell in the triplets sequence, in contrast to last week I now have the steps, my mistakes were highlighted in direction. Juliet had also added several curves and tilts to the sequence that I almost by the end of the class I had got my head around. I know how important each aspect of the phrase is, I just to have to find a way to compose all three together. Another aspect of my weaknesses was evident through my flat back position, as I have a hyper-extended back. Prior to today’s class I always felt my flat back position was just emphasised around me just pushing out my lower half. However with a personal demonstration from Juliet and her advising me to go lower, I found a correct way of applying the position without any other elements of my body sticking out. When demonstrating a flat back it is important to avoid not letting your arms release behind you. We are advised to be able to see both hands through our provisional sight.
This week however, Juliet commented many times on positive aspect of my technique. She praised me on the development of my footwork and how after every exercise I finish off the movements accurately and avoid cutting corners. To hear such optimistic feedback like this is really encouraging and rewarding. It also helps me keep an affirmative attitude for the rest of the class.
We also focused on a jumping sequence that had been growing and developing in the last few weeks. Juliet stressed on how important our arm positions were and broke down each section to see if we were approaching it correctly. The sequence included at least five different types of jumps and leaps through the space. This included a Pas de chat, which Juliet had explained to us that it had to be lower and more grounded in to comparison to the high and controlled Pas de chat that you would see in ballet. I felt quite confident with the phrase as I like to jump and move through the space. For my own technique, I need to work on the preparation into my barrel turn. This is not only to to prevent any injury to my ankles or my knees, but If I have a lower stance to prepare I can really push off my legs to get higher in the air for the turn. The conclusion of the phrase was a turning jete. I struggled to begin with as I couldn’t understand the concept and was therefore turning too much. However after Juliet demonstrated and placed emphasis on our focus it became much easier to understand and therefore I attempted the jump to the best of my ability.

To work on my weakness in Juliet’s class I have filmed many of the phrases to evidently watch myself back. Hopefully I can observe my mistakes and keeping practising to amend them. This video demonstrates an adage we have been working on in Juliet's class. This short phrase is the beginning few counts, in which Juliet's has asked us to mentally prepare for the exercise by reassuring ourselves that we are capable. The movement is an extension on the legs and arms. My weakness is not using my leg to its full ability, I intend on working on this by really pushing through with the foot to reach away from myself.

This video again is a demonstration from Juliet's class. It focuses on the final jump sequence that I would like to improve on. I think the video highlights my passion to jump in class, although it also highlights many weaknesses in my technique. Again the preparation for the barrel turn is something I need to work on and begin to get deeper in my plié to encourage to push through my legs. 

Here I am demonstrating a footwork sequence travelling across the studio. I need to work on jumping through my whole foot and keeping my foot pointed the whole time. I would also like to work on the small travelling jump at the end of the phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment