Monday 7 November 2011

02.11.2011 & 19.11.2011 - Bartenieff Fundamentals

Again in Liz’s class we have been focusing on Bartenieff Fundamentals theory, one of the main aspects we have been focusing on is yielding and pushing our bodies. To begin with i wasn’t 100% of the definition of the word “to yield”, therefore I looked it up on the Internet, “To permit; to grant; as, to yield passage. http://www.brainyquote.com/words/yi/yield241142.html#ixzz1d2 (accessed on 7.11.2011)

Yield and Push exercise
From this, I have learnt within my own body how to control my weight. When focusing on yielding my body I really need to work on using my legs to ground the floor and push through my feet and release the tension in my neck and arms. To do this I need to focus on not holding my body through my neck, as this causes a lot of tension and pain when moving. "yielding towards the earth, pushing with the tail through the lumbar" Making Connections P.Hackney pg.31 This is evident particularly in the floor sequence that we have been focusing on that includes several turns and rolls. If I begin to release the tension then my head rolls and relaxations on the floor should feel free and less held. To also help me improve with this Liz taught us and exercise in which Peggy Hackney recommends her book ‘Making Connections’. To complete the exercise we begin by laying flat on our front with our forehead on the ground. From this position we slowly release and breathe and push forwards with the weight of our heads and lift the lower back. It is important to release the out breath as without breath there is also a loss of the head-tail connection Hackney says of this loss, “a common phenomenon in cultures which encourage a mind-body dichotomy” (Hackney p.23). This exercise also focuses on the connection between the head and tail through yield and push. This connectivity is a relationship that can also be recognised when approaching lifts within dance and in elements of sequences that we concentrate on in technique classes. By really focuses on yielding our bodies Liz asked us to partner up in the class and watch a demonstration of how to really feel connected with our yielding. In doing this each pair of partners took turn to hold each other firstly with a hand place underneath the buttocks and assist in helping our partners yield down into the ground when demonstration small jumps in parallel. We then moved our assistance to just on the atlas on the spine to encourage our partners to release the tension in their necks to jump higher. This was especially helpful to me as again I tend to hold my neck and not release it principally when jumping. This exercise was also particularly useful as we really had the opportunity to ground the floor to put the pressure in our feet to jump higher.

I have read the Peggy Hackney has once stated when discussing the relationship with the head and tail “This stage is not about accomplishing tasks…head-tail connectivity certainly provides potential for fluid sensuality, as well as a solid ease in being on- or off-vertical.” (Hackney p.108)

In the last few weeks that we have been focusing on Bartenieff Fundamentals theory, we have been working on a short phrase that repeats on the right and left. During the phrase each week Liz has asked to look for movements that recognise some of Bartenieff Fundamentals theory. Such as the use of breath, core-distal connectivity and head-tail connectivity. To recognise each of the factors we were put into threes and each demonstrated the phrase with an aspect of the theory. For me, I was working on the relationship between my spine and the movement (core-distal) It felt great to really connect my body to each movement and fully release any stress or tension through the movement. The most obvious element to recognise in the phrase for me was the person who demonstrated the use of breath. I think this is because after every exhale the dancer really connected with their body and deepened the movement. I found it really helpful to watch the other girls as it was beneficial to see how the theory is encouraging our bodies and our technique.
Another exercise Liz has introduced us to was, lying down in any position on the floor and sucking on our thumbs. This is to focus on the relationship between the mouth and the anus. This was another relationship to focus on, and concentrate on its connectivity. To then allow to move and improvise with this in our minds.
When leaving Liz’s class I feel like I am learning something new about myself and my technique every week. I am also learning more about my body and the way in which certain bones and muscles work. I am particularly intrigued with my spine so have been further my research in to the spine from reading Peggy Hackney’s Making connections in my own time as well as focusing on it in class."Enjoying the sensation of your own spine in relationship to itself and to the earth" P.Hackney pg.30. I hope this is recognised in my technique, because I do believe I am improving with the use of my breath and relaxing more when I am dancing.



In these videos you can really comment on how I use my breath to help me control my movement. I find it really encouraging to us the breath and allow my body to feel connected to the ground. "the earth provides support, a ground for being and moving. Human beings move in relationship to the earth and gravity." (Hackney  pg.31)                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment