Thursday 27 October 2011

20.11.2011 - Strength and Sweat

In Geoff’s class today we began by going through every exercise for ourselves to see how much we had remembered from the previous weeks. We then focused on a floor exercise, that focused on the use of our breath and the heaviness of our leg swings. With discussing this exercise, I know I need to use my legs much more through the heavy swings, I need to focus on not shifting my hips too much and really find a connection with my centre to swing my legs across my body. I would also like to work on throwing my body into certain movements such as the leg swings round to the front, brining my whole body over with me with my weight dropping to the floor. Sometimes a common weakness in Geoff’s class is that I over complicate the moves then give up easily. I would like to work on this so I begin to feel more confident in myself and the movement.
I have begun to film myself in certain lessons in order for me to look back at my technique and recognise my flaws and possible strengths. In Geoff’s classes I have filmed the end sequence to help me develop my movement and become stronger.
 In today’s class we broke down the final sequence to make sure we were completing the movement properly with the use of the right legs and the correct arm positions. I found this really helpful as the bits I had struggled with in the previous week I had corrected. It was also really helpful that Geoff asked us to perform with a partner so we had plenty of space in the studio and so we could really go for it. I was really comfortable doing this as I believe it is useful to watch others to help them as well as it being very beneficial and really helpful to my own technique. Geoff commented that my partner and I had really good timing and energy together, which is really positive. Comments like that again make me want to do even better and give even additional energy that I am already demonstrating. Again I have an element of confidence in this class as my body’s physicality strides in jumps and turns that allows you to use all the energy in your body and really push through all the movements.

This video highlights how my leg swing need to be heavier. In class, Geoff spoke about how certain moves can affect your final grade and how you have to know what your doing to apply the correct technique. Geoff commentated on how my legs needed to feel heavier and how I needed to throw my body around more opose to being afraid to.

No comments:

Post a Comment