Thursday 13 October 2011

07.10.2011 - A good introduction to Graham




In today’s class we worked on Martha Graham technique which I really enjoy. Martha Graham developed a dance technique that broke the mould of classical ballet and pioneered the field of modern dance” http://elle-blum.suite101.com/martha-graham-dance-technique-a127236blum.suite101.com/martha-graham-dance-technique-a127236 . (accessed on 08.10.2011)


We focused on using our cores to support multiple curves in our back. When using the whole body to demonstrate an over curve my body felt more comfortable than when practising a back curve. I think this is because I found the over curve easier as you get to use the head and the spine to help you control your weight. However when demonstrating a back curve I struggle with the placement of the neck and head as I don’t want to seem as if I am pushing my chest and ribs out rather than my using my centre to control my whole upper back curve. I try to imagine the movement as if a string was being pulled from my chest up towards the ceiling in alignment with the head and neck. This helped me to avoid sticking out my ribs and helped me to try and control my upper half. Hopefully in the weeks to come I will build on this and improve my structure when displaying curves to try and maintain a controlled position. 



As a personal weakness I know when displaying floor exercises with my legs in second position I need to hold on to my turn out in my legs to support a straight flat back. If I let my knees and hips roll forwards I will not only lose my turn out I will also lose my alignment in the back. So I focus on making sure I am sat of two sits bones with a long line up my spine and neck to support my back. When demonstrating a side stretch for 8 counts spiralled over one of my legs in a set exercise, I need to focus on not twisting the hips to face the direction I am stretching and to try and make sure my hips remain there square. I would also like to work on not rebounding on the bounces but use my curve over my leg to extend my stretches. 


Again I think I need to concentrate more on the placement of my feet through tendu’s and grand battement’s applying my foot all the way through to its point from the ankle through to the ball of the foot ending in the toes. Especially in grand battement’s the quick exercise we practise in class the feet have to come through first position and back to first after then extension of the leg. However in the last few classes I have begun to see a vast improvement with my feet but also my balance and my turn out when releasing the leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment