Thursday 27 October 2011

Cheerleading - Northumbria Northstars

For 6 hours a week, I head over to coach lane sports campus for cheerleading rehearsals. During these rehearsals we focus on a 30 – 40 minute warm up session to build our strength and prepare us for the rest of the training session. The warm ups generally consist of head and shoulder work followed by arms, hips and then finally leg work. As vice coach I sometimes have to lead the warm ups as part of my role, when this is the case I try to work on the girls flexibility as I know in myself that is a common weakness. To do this I focus on warming the legs up first with a number of lunges to get the legs really working, followed with the splits to demonstrate which leg is perhaps the most flexible. In my case my left leg has always been the strongest out of the two, however in the last few weeks my right leg as shown signs of development when warming up at training but also in my ballet technique classes.  I am really happy with this improvement as it highlights how not only timetabled classes are helping improve my technique, but cheerleading practise too. I see this as a positive thing as it’s allowing me to become versatile within dance yet help me in general to improve overall.

As the official Cheerleaders for the Newcastle Eagles basketball team, it is our duty to perform every Friday night at Northumbria universities own Sport Central, to crowds of around 3,000 people. When focusing on my technique whilst performing with the girls, I notice small technical corrections in my own body. For example when stood in second position, if your stance is two wide you are prone to fall, or if your second position is just a little wider than parallel this perhaps will feel incorrect. I find many technique teachers have their own version of second position, when focusing on my own technique, I try to emphasis a vertical line from my hips to my toes then take a tiny step out  to achieve my own second position.


"a position in which the feet are spread apart and are at right angles to the direction of the body"  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/second+position (accessed 14.11.2011)
In relation to Cheerleading, When I notice small adjustments like this there is a huge advance on my technique and style. Also perfroming to such a huge crowd every week gives me a boost of confidence, and I really enjoy the positive vibe that we recieve. This confidence therefore is carried through to performances that we have within our course.
A past video of our training sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment