Monday 3 October 2011

29.09.2011 - Welcome back Geoff

Technique to jumping
When working with Geoff in technique classes, I really feel like I am being pushed to my limits and focusing on achieving my maximum strengths. It is also a class where shifting and full-size jumps are key elements of the technique that Geoff is asking us to apply. Both these areas in dance are aspects that I really recognise as strength when reflecting on my own technique. As I enjoy throwing my body around in leaps and shifts allowing my body to feel heavy and I really try to push down with all my body strength engaging in the complex movement. Throughout the class my body seemed to gain strength as we progressed, allowing me to feel really strenuous towards the end.
I like to think that I excel in this particular technique as I’m not afraid to throw my body into shapes, spaces and positions during the class.
Again I would like to focus on my flexibility, continuing to use my roll downs at the beginning and the end of the classes to help me progress.  Thursday’s class highlighted how my flexibility had improved slightly since Monday, even if it was only a slight change in a small amount of time, my body could feel an improvement. I felt less of a strain in my legs, and could hang on my legs for a longer period of time.


In this class I would like to also focus on the heaviness of my legs when concentrating on brushes and kicks in parallel and first position.  My standing leg remains strong but my working leg begins to feel tired when I try and extend from either first position or parallel. To avoid this I think I need to again focus on my balance and again my concentration;. I would like my legs to feel looser so I can control them when holding them off the ground. To help me to obtain this, I plan to jog twice a week around a running track close to where I live to build up body strength in my calves and quadriceps. Then from this, I will hopefully be able to maintain a strong position when using my legs in kicks and leaps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment